Thursday, June 17, 2010

Set Backs and Steps Up

Another day another story. Today I received a call from the hospital asking for consent for a procedure: a lumbar puncture. How they got my number and why they wanted me to consent I don't know, but I called mom and told her about it and gave her the number to call back. Dad has run a fever of over 100 for a few days and blood cultures came back negative for infection so the next step was to check the spinal fluid for infection. I don't know how people make these decisions in someone else's behalf. It makes me weak just thinking about all these procedures dad is going through and I know he hates it as well! We see serious progess some days and then the set backs.

On a good note, as Emily and I got to the hospital yesterday Aunt Shirley gave us the report that had been passed on to her from earlier in the day by Aunt Cynthia. The physical therapist had worked with dad that morning and the nurse said from night to day dad had made big progress. His arm is moving so much and he is doing his typical 'dadisms,' raising his eyebrows and rubbing his eye, scratching his head and ear, rubbing his fingers together and exploring his surroundings. A great idea from dad's family was to have a guest book/journal there at his bedside so as people visit and see progress they can make note of it. When you're not there all the time you miss out on seeing a lot so this was an excellent idea.

Yesterday while at the hospital, I received a text from Greg asking how things were going and I decided to call and give him the update. As I was talking on the phone dad opened his left eye wide as an owl and looked right at me. As I crouched down closer to him he followed me with that eye. I was so excited so I told dad I was talking to Greg and then put the phone up to his ear so Greg could talk to dad too. As Greg was talking dad's mouth started to move and he was shaking his pointer finger, another 'dadism'. He was trying to say something and when I told Greg about this action, he replied, "He's telling me to do well son," our favorite dad quote.

Later that evening as mom sat with dad, he again opened his eye for her , got a concerned look on his face and mom saw him mouthing something. She studied his mouth while dad formed the words, "I want to go to the bathroom." As mom said it, "those words were never more beautiful, even from a toddler."

Between dad's three sisters, Carolyn, Shirley, and Cynthia, someone seems to be there just about every morning and Willis comes when he can after work. Mom's siblings and my cousins come often too and we are so grateful for the visitors and the support we feel from them and for all the help we have received over the past 3 weeks. We are so blessed to have such wonderful families!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Such great progress! The miracles never cease to amaze me. What a blessing for us all to witness them first hand. Thanks for keeping us all updated Allis!

    ReplyDelete